Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Cookies for the Firemen

Lately we have been talking quite a bit about 9-1-1 and emergencies and police and firemen. Emily has a pretty decent understanding of it and I think maybe, just maybe if she needed to she could call 911 and relay what she needed to for help. So, a few days ago we were driving into town and passed a fire truck heading in the direction of our house. Will looked in the rear-view mirror to see lot of black smoke just to the south/east of us. Emily caught on to the whole situation and said she wanted to go help the firemen. And boy was she determined and passionate about needing to help them. Will and I did the best we knew how to explain why she really couldn't go help them fight the fire. She wasn't real happy about it. So Will says, Emily if you want to help the firemen you can do something nice for them like make some cookies. So....
We did! She helped me make some chocolate chip cookies. Then I told her to hurry and put on her shoes so we could go deliver the cookies to the fire station. Well she came out of her room wearing tall black leathery boots (that she has never worn before). Of course you can see that went REALLY well with he rest of her outfit! Of course I told her she couldn't wear those boots that she needed to go put on her brown sandals. No, apparently she HAD to wear these boots because they are her FIREMEN boots :) She said firemen where tall black boots. Well she had a point. So I ended up giving in hoping the firemen would not think ill of me.
They were so nice to her at the fire station! They let her in to look around at the trucks and equipment. They even let her sit in the truck and turned on the lights. It was really fun!
She is already wanting to take some cookies to the police as well. Maybe we will have to figure out how to make some donuts :)

1 comment:

jmholloway said...

What a cute idea! You guys are such great parents. I would never have thought of that.

Mindi :)